Firework Chocolate Cake Pops
Bake a treat for all your family and friends during this season of festivities and keep them merry and sweet!
For the sponge
- 100g Plain Flour
- 20g Cocoa Powder
- 140g Golden Caster Sugar
- 40g Butter (unsalted and softened)
- 1.5 Tsp Baking Powder
- 120ml Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
For the buttercream
- 125g Butter (unsalted and softened)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 300g Icing Sugar
- 2 Tsp Milk
For the chocolate covering
- 200g Dark Chocolate
- 200g White Chocolate
- Sprinkle Decorations
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Silver and Gold Sprinkles
- Small White Chocolate Hearts
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and line a muffin tin with 12 paper cases.
- To make the cake sponge, put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding mixer with the paddle attachment or in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer until you get a sandy consistency.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract in a jug then slowly add to the flour mixture and beat until smooth and well mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the sponge bounces back when touched.
- Cool on a wire rack, leave in the fridge overnight to stale.
- To make the icing, put the butter in a large bowl and cream using a hand held electric whisk, then add the icing sugar a bit at a time mixing in between. Add the milk and vanilla extract then whisk until light and fluffy.
- Remove the cakes from the fridge and crumble into a large bowl until it resembles fine breadcrumbs, then mix in some of the icing until the mixture can be formed into small balls.
- Make balls of the mixture by rolling between your hands and place on a baking tray. Place these in the fridge to set for about 30 minutes. Next melt your dark chocolate and white chocolate in separate bowls.
- Dip a lollipop stick into your choice of melted chocolate, then place into the cake ball. Once you have put sticks in every ball, dip each one into the chocolate to entirely cover the ball. Then add the sprinkles and decoration of your choice. Leave to set.